Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Data wall jacks not working?

I went to a customer's office today on a call about a wireless problem. Once I got there of course other issues they were having came were remembered. One such problem was regarding two wall network wall jack that were "not working". I figured this would be an easy problem to fix, I started it before the more mysterious and dangerous wireless access point problem.
I checked both of the wall jacks with my laptop and they weren't working like they said. Not even a link light - forget about not getting an IP address. I toned them out to see if they even ran to their data room and they both did. But, of course, there was not patch cord going from the patch panel were the wires terminated to the data switch. I plugged two cables in and tested again. Both ports now linked u pthe the LAN fine. The customer paid for this. I guess to me and other in the support world this was a no brainer. I really think that if the customer had applied some simple troubleshooting skills and basic knowledge they could have avoided the bill. Oh and by the way, they wanted to start arguing that my company did the cabling and therefore they should not get billed. Go figure.
Now about the wireless problem. This has a few more twists in the plot than the wall jack problem did.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've seen people try to fix somthing technical that was way more difficult than data cabling to save money and botch it up.

They should have at least tried to resolve this. Like you said some basic skills applied with just the right temper, and they would have had this problem reslved. Go ahead and bill them.

Anonymous said...

Charge them double for not even trying to solve the simple problem. Don'thtey know that with out skill like cablers (I know you not a cabler) their dekstops, laptops and servers won't even work. They could at least know some of the basics. It;s not much different than connecting thier cable.